Search My Blog

Monday 25 August 2014

Road Trip - Niagara Falls & Toronto

Well hello fine readers, let me tell you a tale of a road trip which began with pumpkin pie and ended dining in the dark. 


By the way, pumpkin pie is delish. My dear travel companion and I decided to make the drive from Connecticut to Toronto, and what a long drive it was. We broke up our journey at Syracuse in New York State and stopped at many toll booths (boo), and service stations that looked like this. 


Aw... A bear. Also guess what... I saw groundhogs! Tons of them! Anyway we finally made it to the falls (yay). And it only took like 410 miles!


We got cool plastic ponchos and rode maid of the mist. We got right up close, I got a couple photos in but it was more than mist, we got drenched. 


But that was nothing compared to cave of the winds, a walk way that gets up close and personal with the American side of the falls, you get another poncho AND, very cool sandals (exhibit A, my feet are the fat little stubby ones). Guys, I don't even have photos of cave of the winds, that's how wet it was. At the top of the walk way it had a 'hurricane deck', I went to touch the back railings of it and it really was like walking into an insane hurricane. My clothes stayed nice and dry under the poncho but I was not risking the phone. Apparently in the winter when the falls get icy they have to dismantle it for safety reasons as massive chunks of ice fall down.


And then we made our way over the border... Eventually, it took ages. I don't know if it's cuz the Canadians are kinda slow eh? But all I know is that I was stuck on a bridge for bloody ages. 


And then we got to Toronto juuuust in time (literally minutes before our booking) for our dinner reservations at O Noir, a restaurant where you dine in the dark and your waiters are blind. They lead you to your seat and tell you where your drink is, bring you your pre ordered food, everything! It was so good, I kept waiting for my eyes to adjust but they never did. There was not the tiniest slither of light. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the blind. Also the food tasted so good, I didn't even spill any - a miracle!


That's a photo of the lobby, if you want to see a photo of inside the actual restaurant just close your eyes and you'll have an exact likeness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment